Monday, February 26, 2007

Unnecessary Folders

So I finished my taxes yesterday, and I wanted to file away all the various papers and printouts for next year. Of course, I had no manila folders. So while I was out running errands I stopped into Staples to pick some up, and I was presented with two options. They were:

25 folders for $4.25, or
100 folders for $5.50.

Now, I need one folder. I don't need 25, let alone 100. But I would have to be an idiot not to buy the big pack, right? I mean, it's 17 cents a folder in the small pack, and 5.5 cents each in the big pack. Inside, it's the exact same product. The 25 pack is highway robbery!

This is why I'm a dream consumer- I always fall for this. It's the same reason I always get the biggie meal at Wendy's, the big popcorn chicken at KFC, and most notably, the gigantic Slurpee at 7-11. Honestly, if the 16 oz. Slurpee is $1.09, and the 40 oz. one is $1.39, what are you going to buy?

Oh- Tangent. I haven't had a delicious Slurpee in almost a year. This is a direct result of the only decent 7-11 in town closing up shop. Granted, the other 7-11 is still open for business, but it is ghetto and not even the sweet allure of the greatest soft frozen drink of all time can pull me in there. However, the rumor is that the former 7-11 is going to be torn down to make way for a Chipotle, so that would definitely help ease the pain.

So now I have roughly 99 manila folders I don't need. I'm trying to weigh potential alternative uses for them, since I file things maybe twice a year. So far I think I could burn them to heat my house, or craft an origami kitty hat.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 3:08 PM, February 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must be a family trait. Daniel and I were going to get a donut from Dunkin' Donuts (because if you are on the east coast, this is what you do) and they had 6 donuts for like 3.99 or 12 for 4.99. A dollar more for twice as many donuts!! I couldn't believe it, and was going to go for the deal, when Daniel put his foot down. He said that we wouldn't eat 12 donuts and shouldn't anyway, so we would be getting diminishing returns on our donut money, regardless if the cost per donut was less. He didn't actually use those terms, but that was his general message. I think he actually said something like, "Carly, you are never going to eat 12 donuts", which honestly sounds like a challenge to me. I fought strongly, but in the end lost the battle. Later, at home, after Daniel had eaten 2 donuts and I ate 1 and was feeling kind of full, Daniel celebrated his victory. After all, he only gets to be right 5% of the time, so I guess I can't blame the guy for living it up. You have to simultaneously admire and distrust a man who can keep a level had in the face of a 37% price per unit drop, let alone the 67% drop like the one you were facing.

 
At 4:10 PM, February 26, 2007, Blogger Kate said...

mmmm, donuts.

I would like to point out that several years ago when I was making the household file box (which turns out to be my mutant talent) Marc made me purchase the 25 pack saying that we'd never use all 100.

 
At 7:10 PM, February 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suggest plan "C" steal office supplies from work. Its 100% price reduction.

I had a slurpee for the first time in a long time a few days ago. It was delicious goodness, but I only give it a 4 on a scale of 10 for poor mix, texture, and being to liquid.

I can't tell you how many donut shops there are around where I am. It must be a culture thing. It makes me crave them sometimes. I just go to walmart and get the 2$ pack of mini donuts. I have to say though, donuts suck since I was a kid. They don't make really good ones any more. Chocolate chocolate cake, so rare to find. Apple fritters with bits of real apple in them, not likely. Yeast rings that dont give you burning acid reflux rings, all just a dream. And the single most desireable baked good I can't find in the store any more, No-Bakes! (although this is not a donut, but I sure could be not baked into a ring like shape.)

I know what you can do. You can play a game called 99 file folder pickup. ::Jamie throws folders on the floor::

 
At 9:16 PM, February 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One way to look at it is that they don't go bad, and eventually you will need more folders. Of course that reasoning does tend to lead you to need a LOT of storage space at home for all your spare supplies. Not that you would not already be familiar with an example of that problem…

 
At 1:09 PM, February 27, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you have a scanner? With a small quantity of stuff to file I'd consider scanning it in and keeping an electronic file.

 
At 1:11 PM, February 27, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bargains are in the Rowden gene - do not fight it - Send unneeded folders to Goodwill.

No Bake Recipe
in saucepan: 1/4 c. butter
bring to 1/4 c. cocoa
boil & boil 3/4 c. milk
1 full minute 2 c. sugar

Off heat add: 1/2 c. peanut butter
mix throughly 1/2 t. vanilla

Mix in: 3 c. dry ingredients ie oatmeal (not quick), coconut, Rice Krispies, nuts or any combination to = 3 cups total.

Drop mixture by spoonfuls on waxed
paper and allow to cool (:

 
At 6:08 PM, February 27, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom, too cute. I was thinking about putting the no-bake recipe on here myself. Great minds...

 
At 1:24 PM, March 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Should I make up a batch for after the wedding when we do not have to worry so much about our waists and complexions? All organic of course . . . . (:

 

Post a Comment

<< Home