Tuesday, February 13, 2007

My Previous First Date

Okay, people have been asking about what I've been up to this last week (and requesting a new post), so here goes: Yes, I am dating again. Right after Christmas I took the eHarmony plunge. I figure if they can find a girl for Howard, there has to be someone out there for me, right (joke)? Plus, I firmly believe in better living through technology. The idea that you'll bump into that special someone and have the foresight/courage to strike up a conversation that will lead to a relationship later is a little silly, especially in this town with it's 10:1 bachelor to bachelorette ratio.

So after a few months of sorting through matches and guided communication, one match stood head & shoulders above the rest [laughing to myself]. So we exchanged e-mails, talked on the phone, and we've been meeting in person the last few weekends.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to tell you any more about her right now. I haven't told her about my blog yet, and it would seem wrong to talk about her on the internet without her knowing, so I'll save the fun stuff for later. But I will give some general observations on what's changed since the last time I went on a first date, approximately 7 years ago- when N*Sync's Bye Bye Bye topped the charts and Mission: Impossible II was #1 at the box office:

  1. I was in college, so dates were planned around homework and exams.
  2. I had a cell phone, but all it did was make calls. It didn't even have caller ID. I never actually used it, because I only had like 50 minutes a month (plus it sounded terrible). That was so long ago that I actually wore it on my belt.
  3. No one had ever heard of a "txt" message.
  4. Starting a dotcom was a sure-fire path to becoming a multi-millionaire.
  5. I had maybe 100 MP3s on my computer. We didn't have MP3 "players," and the first iPod was still a year away.
  6. We had to worry about where to hang out, based on who's roommates were home.
  7. Speaking of which, Daniel doesn't knock, he just barges right in. With his brother.
  8. Internet dating was for weirdos and losers.
  9. I knew nothing about women. Well, okay- some things are the same.
In any case, the game has changed, mostly because I'm pushing 30. This time I'm really not concerned with making people like me- I'm just out there. I'm saying whatever comes to mind and being totally honest. I figure if they don't like what I say, then okay, move along. So far it's worked out amazingly well. If it keeps going like this, you'll probably get to meet her soon enough.

4 Comments:

At 7:09 PM, February 13, 2007, Blogger Kate said...

I actually laughed out loud that she stands head and shoulders above everyone else. I'm sure she'll like that too.

 
At 9:17 AM, February 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Nothing ventured nothing gained". I applaud your courage at getting "back in the game". Take it nice and easy and have fun! The rest of us can wait! I am just happy you are happy.

Mom

 
At 9:26 PM, February 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thrilled you are out there!! I hear that Eharmony is amazing and I would not be surprised if you marry a woman that you meet from the service. Goodluck and have fun.

PS- Oh yes, you are right about dating being different in your 30'! You are now at an age where you know who you are and what you want. I found that it is much easier to end a potential wrong choices because life has taught you that being alone is better than being with the wrong person. On the plus side, when you find the right person (and I know that you will) life is wonderful!

Congrats!

 
At 10:31 AM, February 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember I met your step-dad via the classified ~ 22 years ago - before Eharmony-type services were around. We only had ~ 30 words to go on! We have been married 20 years and he is still my knight-in-shining-armour!

Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home