Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Goodbye, Lost

Dear Lost-

When I heard that you were coming back Wednesday night, I was a little surprised. I know that back in December we agreed to take a break for a few months, when you left me with the worst cliffhanger since Friends zoomed in on Rachel at the wedding. But let's call it what it really is: a break up. Please don't act so surprised- I think we both knew that this was coming since season 2.

Season 1: Happier TimesMaybe it's not you, it's me. You're still a great show that pulls strong ratings every week, but you're not the show I fell in love with. We used to follow the rag-tag team of castaways as they explored a mysterious island, and you'd give me clips of their past to explain why their new experiences were relevant. But you lost focus. You forgot your roots, and now we're stuck with a half-baked, plothole-laden "newcomers vs. establishment" story that barely makes sense. I'm not alone here- my friends and co-workers have noticed the change in you, too.

Now you're trying to lure me back again with promises of non-stop action. Well, forgive me if I've heard that before. This relationship has become stagnant. Let's face it, nothing really happened last season! Every week it was 5 minutes of recap, 20 minutes of back story, and maybe 15 minutes of present-day vamping. When it's over you've taken an hour of my life and given me nothing new. And really, nothing interesting.

In season 1 we had so much promise, but since we've been apart I can see that this isn't what I need. You're not even trying anymore, and I've got options. Shows like Heroes and Studio 60 that understand that I have needs as a viewer. I know my the timing is terrible (with Valentine's day right around the corner) but this is how you had to have it. And I'll admit that I had a tear in my eye as I deleted your season pass. I'll always remember the good times we had, and I'll always wonder if you could come up for a rational explanation for things like the cursed numbers, or that black-smoke monster.

I still want you to be a great show, and maybe someday you will be- but I just can't wait anymore. In 3 or 4 seasons when we learn it was all a dream, I'll know I made the right decision.

Love,
Marc

Totally unrelated:
I just watched Monday's Heroes, and it guest starred George Takei (of Star Trek fame). When he walks to his car, you can briefly see that his license plate is NCC-1701, the hull number of the Starship Enterprise. I award myself 1,000 dork points.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 12:47 PM, February 07, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like you and Lost are a lot like me and Alias. You will always treasure the good times, but the show I left was not the show I fell in love with, and when the cancelation came, I didn't shed a tear.

 
At 6:57 PM, February 07, 2007, Blogger Kate said...

When Law & Order says goodbye I will have to hole up with the DVDs for two long weeks and then burn them in the backyard, along with all the love letters, momentos, and family portraits.

Your writing style is a lot like Dan's...

 
At 8:57 PM, February 12, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We all want to hear about the girl you've been dating. You should put it on your blog too for a little friendly competition.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home