Monday, January 29, 2007

Free Wheelin' at the Auto Show

Saturday I took a trip up to DC for the Washington Auto Show with a couple of friends. I'm really not that much of a car guy, but let's face it, I had little else going on. Plus, the closest thing I'd ever seen to a car show were those times they would park a bunch of new cars in the mall. I always enjoyed filling out the little raffle ticket and dropping it in the window for a chance to take home my own Geo Metro, but it never really payed off.

The show was pretty impressive- I took up the entire basement of the convention center, not to mention the larger space on the second story. There were cars as far as the eye could see, and there were even a few that I could afford. The vast majority were ridiculously nice, ridiculously expensive rides that we would gather around and have exchanges like this:

Mike: "Aw man- they only upped it 2 cubic inches from last year, but they pulled out 4.5 more horsepower!"
Jason: "Yeah, that buys them 5.2 foot-pounds, but it still throws off the weight ratio."
Me: "You can't see crap out of these tiny windows."

Then they would sort of shakes their heads in disappointment. My observations were limited to things like "Why is there even a back seat? There's no room for your legs." and "My suitcase wouldn't fit in this trunk." I was also openly mocked for showing much more interest in the hybrids than any of the other cars.

We were looking at some Mercedes or something, when they said things like "I've had my eye on this series for a while. We'll probably get one to tool around in when we retire." I replied "That car costs $85,000. Plus, it gets 9 miles per gallon. What's the point?" Apparently I "don't get it."

I was excited to see some of the concepts, like the Ford Airstream and Interceptor. I realize most of them will never see production, but it's neat to see what ideas designers are coming up with. Jason remarked that the Airstream should be called "The Ikea," and Mike liked the retro clamshell shaker hood on the Interceptor. I pointed out that neither one had a rear defroster.

Throw in the fact that we stopped at Coldstone on the way home, and it was a pretty fun day. Would I go again? Probably. Will Mike and Jason invite me again? Doubtful.

2 Comments:

At 10:38 PM, January 29, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hip hip hooray for an after car show ice cream treat. Did you get that for good behavior at the show?

 
At 9:02 PM, February 18, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why would anybody be concerned about such practical design features such as leg room and rearward visibility? I mean, C'Mon. Sheesh. The sad truth is that automotive enthusiasts don't care about these items. Horsepower and Style are one thing (well, two actually), but living with those same features that make those cars cool can be a living hell. And many auto-enthusiasts don't understand why cars like the Accord, Camry, and Impala sell so well. They handle and accelerate decently well, get good fuel economy, have room for 4, 5 in a pinch, and are affordable. Are they terribly exciting? No, but they do well 95% of what the general public asks of their cars. And understanding what the customer wants is what got Toyota and Honda to where they are today.

My nominee for "Bad Design" was the Ford Bronco concept from a few years ago. It was supposed to be this go-anywhere, do-anything truck concept. BUT, there was no package protection in the interior for such mundane items like a transmission or transfer case. That truck couldn't drive off the show stand let alone on the Rubicon Trail. If you (as a car company) are going to introduce a truck that looks like it has the goods, at least give it the hardware to back it up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home