Tuesday, January 30, 2007

One Day, Three Annoyances

These three things happened in succession on Sunday, and only one was actually annoying. From least to most irritating:

1. I used up the soap in my shower, so I needed a new bar. I could've sworn I had just bought a huge pack, but I looked everywhere and couldn't find it. So when I was out I went to BJ's and bought a gigantor pack of like 20 bars. After restocking the bathroom I thought "I'll store the rest of this under the sink in the guest bathroom." Anybody want to guess what was already there? That's right, the last huge pack of soap. I hate being dumb.

2. It was doing a little snow/sleet/winter-mix thing, so it was a little wet on and off. At the grocery store there was lady in her power suit loading a ton of bags into her car. It was taking her a while, because she was only using one hand, the other being tied up with her huge umbrella. If she wasn't so focused on the task at hand, she might have noticed that it had stopped raining like 10 minutes ago. I used to always notice this effect on rainy days in college- several people would walk around with their umbrella open when it hadn't been raining for an hour. In any case, no, this didn't affect me at all- I just don't understand people.

3. Now, this did suck: After working out I hit Subway for my new standard Sunday lunch, and I walked in right after another lady. At this point there were 4 people in the Subway: Me, the lady, and 2 employees behind the sneeze guard. She orders a sub. Then another, and by this time I've noticed that she was reading off a list. The employees continue to work in series, like they always do- one starting the bread and meat, and the other doing the toppings. The lady has to keep consulting her list, because they're all special orders. I finally peek over her shoulder, and she has a full-on matrix of what all her (I'm assuming) co-workers want- 12 in all! The orders keep coming, tying up both employees, and at several points they would get confused and have to stop and count sandwiches, sometimes unwrap a few to see what they have. Don't even get me started with the toasting- apparently there wasn't a box for that on the form so it was a big question every time. "Is it usually toasted? Would you toast it? What do most people like?" Kill me!

It's not like I was in a hurry, but remember: I walked up seconds after this lady, and there was no one else in there. I wanted one 12" turkey and ham sub. It takes them approximately 45 seconds to crank one of those out. If the lady was a little more polite, maybe she would have offered to let me go first. It's not like she didn't see me. Not to mention that she tied up the entire staff for 15 minutes! Of course, I can't totally absolve the employees. Why couldn't one of them have helped me while the other kept helping Mrs. Big Spender? I was near the point of banging my head on the old New York-themed walls when she turns around and says with a smile "I'm so sorry, this is the last one!" to which I smile and reply "Oh, that's okay! Don't worry about it!" I was actually thinking "If you were truly sorry, maybe you would've spared an employee for 45 seconds and not sucked a quarter hour out of my life A$$HOLE!"

And you know what else? She finally paid and walked away, forgetting her 14-odd cookies. I grabbed them and ran after her to hand them over. If I didn't get like a million karma points, then there is just no justice in the world.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 5:26 PM, January 30, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just saying, I'd have kept those cookies. And when I had a tummy ache later I'd have blamed her for that as well.

Bitch

 
At 7:03 PM, January 30, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so here is my umbrella anxiety… You get out of the car and are carrying your umbrella because it isn’t raining, but feels like it is going to start any second. Then, as you are walking, it starts the faintest of light drizzle, and you think, I would look like an idiot if I use my umbrella for this, so you continue walking, carrying the unopened umbrella. Then there is an ever so slight steady increase in the rain, and you are thinking, “Should I open my umbrella now? If I had gotten out of my car and this was the rain level, I most likely would have opened my umbrella, but this is not so heavy as to clearly need a shield, and I was walking in rain almost as heavy as this without the need of coverage….” It’s the umbrella threshold. It gets blurred… Or maybe it’s just me.

 
At 8:34 PM, January 31, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am impressed that you gave her the cookies. There is a point where gentlemanly behavior carried to the extreme becomes counterproductive, and it sounds like you passed that point well before you got your order. Not that you should have kept the cookies, or eaten the cookies - the real point would have been for her to arrive back where ever without them. Or for you to have said "Excuse me, I see you have quite an order there, would you mind if I got one sandwich in ahead of you?"

Depends on what kind of mood you were in.

 
At 7:48 PM, February 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say, I both would have stood there like a dope and fumed while she placed her huge order and would have run the cookies out to her, so I feel where you are coming from. In the end, I feel that there is a measure of spite in being the better person.

 
At 4:45 PM, February 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the man you have become, Marc Never prouder (:
Mom

 
At 8:58 AM, February 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

or bad with grammar and punctuation

 

Post a Comment

<< Home