Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Drill Hall Employees

Yeah yeah, it's been a while. I don't even have anything that great to add, so today you get a token annoyance post about the drill hall. Pretty soon I'll start posting about the stuff Erica and I have been up to, but I still haven't shown her my blog. Although, we did have the "I almost got married in June" talk, so that was really the last hurdle. Anyway!

There is one badge checker lady at the Drill Hall that I complain about all the time, because she checks my ID every day. During my marathon training, I was in there twice a week, and the 4 to 5 employees learned to recognize me (and I them) and the whole badge check became unnecessary. Then, after the marathon they hired a new lady. Since I had hurt my knee and this was before I took Carly's Nordic Trak, I was there every day. Every day this lady needs to check my ID. After 4 weeks or so, I started to just make eye contact, nod, and walk in without breaking my stride. But no! She always says "ID?" and looks at me expectantly. To this day, she still demands to see my badge everytime I go. I recognize her; does she not recognize me? It's like "Yes, I work here. I worked here yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that. Almost every day that you have worked here, you have checked my ID. When are you going to remember?" It's been several months at this point.

I mention this because of an encounter yesterday: I walked in the door with another woman, and the badge checker says "ID?" I produce mine in a well-rehearsed yet annoyedly-dismissive manner, but the other lady was also prepared. Before Badge checker made it to the "D" in her catch phrase, other lady tersely said "I'm the AEROBICS INSTRUCTOR" in a manner that let me know that they've had this exchange before. I mention this because it makes me feel better that I'm not alone. Anyway, as annoyed as I get with this all, I have to cut her some slack. She might just be legally blind, or possibly mentally challenged, and I need to build up more Karma so I can get good parking spots again.

Bonus note! Every day I get a small towel for my workout. The other day I walked up to the window, cheerfully said "One small towel please," took it, and walked away. I made it about 10 feet before I noticed that they had given me one of the giant shower type towels. So I turned around and went back to the window. Only about 10 seconds had passed since I picked up the towel, but there was a new employee manning the window now. I said "Hi, I need a small towel so I'll trade you" and handed her the unused big towel. She immediately leapt back about a foot with a horrified look on her face and yelled "I'm not touching that! Put it in the hamper!" I stood there stunned for a second, petrified by the look of intense disgust in her eyes, until I realized that she wasn't there for the original pickup. She figured that I had arrived earlier, worked out, sweat up this towel, showered, dried with this towel, gotten dressed to kill and then attempted to hand her my body hair and microbe-laden diseased sweat rag. I guess I can't really blame her. I stammered out something like "Oh...God...this is...no, it's clean...uh" and threw it in the hamper. She gave me a dirty look as she handed me a fresh small towel, and muttered "Ugh! Jeeze." as I walked away. I'm pretty sure she remembers me now.

Solution? Tomorrow maybe I'll give the badge check lady a dirty towel, and see where that goes.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, February 21, 2007, Blogger Kate said...

The Nazi drill hall lady has made Robyn go back to her car several times when she forgot hers and I know that she's the reason I lost my blue badge b/c I never had it out so much in all my life.

The towel story is great. Why are women at the drill hall always thinking the worst of you? :-)

I don't miss that place at all. There are three gyms here on base and the one I go to is small but there are always machines and usually parking spots.

Stupid drill hall!

**Carly, saw your wedding annoucement and it was lovely. Now do a service to your country and start a blog!**

 
At 6:01 PM, February 21, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should definitly give the ID lady a dirty towel. Be sure to wipe down all the good bits too. Maybe even add some color.

I have to bring my own towel to my gym. When the weather was cooled it would be frozen into some random bunched up shape. I would think about joining a better gym, but I don't think I can beat the price or the fact that I usually have the place to myself.

-jamie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home