Thursday, February 22, 2007

I Need an Adult!

Tonight as I was making dinner the phone rang. I fully expected it to be a telemarketer (because it always is- maybe my "do not call" thing ran out) but I answered anyway. Here's the conversation:

Me: Hello?
Telemarketer: Hi! Are your parents home?
Me: Are you serious!? [click]

It's hard to convey in type, but she totally said it as though I was a child. Not even a teenager- it was like she thought a toddler had picked up the phone. As soon as I hung up, I regretted it. I mean, I had some questions for this lady! I wanted her to explain herself. I wanted to ask "How old do you think I am?" In fact, here are other responses that occurred to me after it was too late:

  1. I don't know. I moved out in 1997.
  2. I'm talking to you on a phone that I bought using service that I pay for while standing in a home that I pay the mortgage for. I have a two car garage.
Okay, well, those are the only two I can think of right now. I'd love to hear what everyone else comes up with!

I might be overreacting. I mean, she only heard one word, and I'm not exactly James Earl Jones or Barry White. But still- I haven't been asked if my parents were home in at least 10 years. Are my parents home...feh.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 9:57 PM, February 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be thankful that you can respond to this with indignity. I hear my voice on recordings and I think, "I wish that small, annoying child would shut her cake-hole."

Oh, and I think that the I don't know, I moved out in '97 is the best reply, so since that is gone...
"Are your parents home?"
"Why? Do you want to come over?"
That's the best I can do on short notice. A nice, manly sexual overture without being vulger.

Tag Daniel, what's your reply?

 
At 8:02 AM, February 23, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have said,
"My parents died in a car crash. Us kids have just been eating candy and that stuff under the sink for the last 8 weeks. Please don't call child services on us."

Good alternative, pretend to actually get your parents and then continue a normal conversation in your best child like voice.

-jamie

 
At 4:25 PM, February 23, 2007, Blogger Kate said...

I like Jamie's idea. I also like the idea of saying something like "actually, they're at the retirement home in boca raton, but i can check if they're there-let me put you on hold for a second"

I hate telemarketers. Just sign up again silly!

(Also, Carly- I think the same thing when I hear my voice only I say "why did minnie mouse record my outgoing message?" "and why does she stumble over such simple words?"

 
At 10:30 PM, February 25, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to feel that the "I don't know, I moved out in '97" is the best response, though I do like Carly's alternate proposal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home