Thursday, December 21, 2006

No More Running

I spoke with Dr. McCardel today about my knee MRI. It turns out that there is no stress fracture, and also no meniscal tear. My knee problem isn't an injury, per se. What I've done is wear away my knee cartilage to the point where there isn't enough cushioning left, so it hurts to run. This is bad news.

There is no treatment, there is no procedure, there is no fix. I'm not supposed to run anymore, by which I mean ever. I am also to stay away from raquetball and ultimate frisbee, making it a perfect hat-trick of physical activities that I enjoy.

What I am allowed to do is bike, and use elliptical runners and skiers. So, those are just going to have to be the basis of my new fitness regimen. This will also give me the time to keep focusing on weight training, which I have gotten into since I phased out running.

This is tricky- I'm not asking for pity or anything, but I don't want to downplay it either. This is a very big deal for me. I've only been running for a few years, but it has become a huge part of my life. I've been planning my time around 10k's and marathon training for the last year or so, and I'm really going to miss it. Running has been my TV time, my solitude, my social outlet, my challenge and my triumph, but I guess it's time to move on. At least I got to go out in style with the marathon.

So I guess I'm going to let my subscription to Runner's World run out. I think biking's next. If you're setting up a team-triathalon, I can still do 2 out of 3 events, and that ain't bad.

7 Comments:

At 11:05 PM, December 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know what though, people end up with that same problem in sports and there has to be something they do about it...

also 2 seconds search provided:
"Medically speaking, he "cartilage" is actually known as the meniscus"
http://www.arthroscopy.com/sp05005.htm
This could be taken out of context since I really stopped reading after the first line. I'm still going to chalk myself up half a point even though I may not be technically 100% correct. Also, to bad for you doctors over prescribed Vioxx, cause the drug was bad for bad knees.

Don't give up hope man. I had a doctor once tell me I would probably have headache for the rest of my life and I should just deal with it. Good think I didn't follow his advice.

-jamie

 
At 12:07 AM, December 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry, Marc. At least now, when you are an old man and your kids are running around, you can tell them that you had to stop running because of a knee injury. It has more cache than back pain, which all the other old men will have. Then you can tell stories of the golden days and your 4 hour marathon, a story I would give my left nut to be able to tell.

 
At 8:08 AM, December 22, 2006, Blogger Kate said...

I'm so sorry Marc. I know how important this is to you and I know that you will overcome this set back. You have been an inspiration to me with your running, and I am sure you have been for Carly and Daniel as well. At least know that your wonderful successes have propelled a lot of people into running as we've seen how wonderful it can be.

You'll be wonderful at whatever you choose to do to pass your free time. I'm sure you'll be the next "Mr. Maryland" surpassing Mr. Cosgrove in weight lifting fame.

I have to give a shoutout to Carly for exchanging her left nut for the glorious stories you can share about your running. Thank God she still has the right one so she's not sterile. :-)

 
At 9:18 AM, December 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marc, I feel your pain. Prior to rupturing my Achilles tendon at around your age I played in three softball leagues in the summer, and a racquetball league and basketball league in the winter. That all came to a screeching halt when the Dr. told me that if I couldn’t do anymore start and stop sports because if I hurt the tendon again I’d limp the rest of my life. I tried coaching, but it was too hard to watch others do what I wanted to do.

I commend you for taking up some activities you can still do. I gave up and stopped exercising after my injury – not a good idea.

 
At 11:49 AM, December 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate, thanks for the shout out. I have always liked my right nut better anyway. :-) I hope you have a Merry Chirstmas!

 
At 10:54 PM, December 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain bro. All I can offer is:
"No one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts. (he points to the sword he just completed) But this... this you can trust."
Conan's Father, Conan the Barbarian

When you can solve The Riddle of Steel you will be able to submit the weights in the weight room to your will.

Then, women (like Robyn) will be very impressed in hot tub situations!

Rock on!
Mike

 
At 1:44 PM, December 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marc I am soooo sorry. I have had problems with my knees since high school but was never told I had "thin cartilage". You probably know your grandma Rowden had a knee replacement ~ 9 years ago-remnents of an old injury.
So glad you took the opportunity to run your marathon when you did. And you did it so well - which is so typical of you (:
Perhaps Carly should have her knees checked out too and then you could bequeath her your beautiful treadmill and she can stop drooling over Jim's
Trust you will take comfort in not having to have surgery and that you can pursue other sports. I know you will excell at whatever you choose!

Love, Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home