Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Brown Sauce- Explained!

You know what's easier than writing a blog post? Copy and pasting in a relevant paragraph from an e-mail you just wrote. Here's what I told Carly:

In other news, it's cold and rainy, the sun's up from about 8 until about 4, and Shelley got sick so I had to do everything myself today. It's alright though- I bought some awesome candy and crackers and I'm going to make some more hot chocolate with the in-room tea service you always get in the UK. Today they left me golden crunch and shortbread cookies- last night I ate the pack of shrewsberry cookies, which I usually avoid, because what the hell's a shrewsberry? I still don't know, but the cookies were pretty good. They always prompt my co-workers and I to say "The shrewsberries taste like shrewsberries!" One more day then I head for home. The flight back is 8 hours, and I've seen all of the movies except "Little Man" and "The Devil Wears Prada," so I might just watch "Click" and "MI3" again.

I forgot to add that our car is an awesome Mercedes hatchback which I did a pretty good job of driving all over the narrow, winding, dark, rainy roads (I only hit one curb!), and one of the guys at Goodrich looks a little like me but talks just like the Geico gecko. Not the old one, but the new one.

I mentioned brown sauce in a post a while ago, and I quote "What is brown sauce? I don't know, but it makes up the big three condiments (along with ketchup and mustard) in England, and it tastes like Death. The only flavor I could isolate was vinegar." Well, last night a dinner I snagged a little packet so I could bring you the ingredients. They are, in order:

Spirit Vinegar
Glucose-Fructose Syrup
Apple Puree
Treacle
Water
Concentrated Date Juice
Modified Cornflour
Concentrated Tomato Puree
Wheat Flour
Salt
Rye Flour
Flavoring
Spice

Those aren't the components I expected, but I'm not surprised. That looks like the kind of list the GC/MS spits out on CSI, before they run it through the database and it spits out what they make up, which in this case would be something like "Queen Elizabeth's vomit." I'll bring the packet back with me, because, you know, Christmas is coming.

6 Comments:

At 4:20 PM, December 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI: For anyone out of the know like me, I looked up treacle in Wikipedia.
"Treacle may refer to:
1) Treacle of Andromachus, a honey- or molasses-based antivenom
2) Molasses "

 
At 8:24 AM, December 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI
GC/MS doesnt just tell you the compounds in a sample. This is a little bit of movie magic. It only tells you the molecular weight. You can buy "library" programs that do a pretty good job of matching, but its only what compoundS would be most likely. The sugar C6H12O6 has the same molecular weight but has many different conformations. MS can give you structure information, but that isnt worth explaining.

now, if you "shot" brown sause and the molecular weight of all those compounds came up and you had a library sample of it, it would identify it as brown sause.

 
At 8:25 AM, December 13, 2006, Blogger Kate said...

Wow, as much as I like vinegar and anything gross and English, I'm not sure I'd even eat that!!

But shrewsberries sound scrump!

 
At 4:41 PM, December 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, anonymous guy sounds pretty serious.

 
At 8:43 PM, December 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since Carly preempted my treacle comment, I'll only say that you must have found a working high speed connection since your email said " I'm stuck using the really, really slow dial-up" and I distinctly recall your blog announcing that you don't Blog at dial-up speed after you were here last Christmas. Which did prompt me to finally get a better connection here at home.

 
At 8:58 AM, December 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes anonymous guy forgets to put his name at the end of his posts and is to lazy to create an account. And, while I am talking about myself in the 3rd person... He is also sick as hell. I guess I lost my super immunity when I started having less headache.

-jamie

PS. Its not so much that I'm serious or whatever, just busting fantacy. Kind of like the show House, where one might think there is a crack team of 4 doctors spending every waking moment to solve what your medical problems. Damn that show makes me laugh.

PPS. I'm in a pretty rotten mood if you cant tell.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home