Sunday, April 01, 2007

LA is a Movie Town

So LA was nice as always, and I got back to Baltimore on Friday, just in time for rush hour. But in the bathroom at LAX I saw what might be the greatest toilet stall graffitti ever written. Luckily I had my trusty camera phone (which I never imagined I would be using in a public restroom):
This stall gets a *meh.*If you can't make it out (the picture isn't the best), it says "Toy Story 2 was okay." There are many things that strike me as odd about this. First of all, it's about Toy Story 2. Many movies have provoked strong reactions from people- The Passion, Fahrenheit 9/11, but Toy Story 2? I mean, what is so remarkable about this particular film? Evidently, it's okay-ness. I guess I can see taking a sharpie to the wall if you really loved or really hated a movie, but how was someone so forceful with a neutral opinion?

Since the flight from LA to Baltimore takes all freakin' day, I did get to see two movies on the way back. First up was Stranger than Fiction. The verdict? I liked it. It was low-key Will Ferrell, which can be just as funny as Ricky Bobby Will Ferrell. Without spoiling anything, the movie comes down to the writer (Emma Thompson) having to chose between killing off Harold for the sake of the book, or letting him live. Several people weigh in on this, and they seem to agree that the story she's writing is too important (in a very Lady in the Water way), and she should go ahead and bump him off. The only thing is, we've been listening to the story- and it doesn't seem that great. The only interesting part is that Harold can hear the narration, and that's totally external to the book. Not a huge flaw, but it's a little annoying. I definitely recommend the movie.

Next up was Happy Feet. News flash: it was stupid. I understand that it's a kid's movie, but the cuteness can only carry it so far. There was no real "substance." It was kind of like Moulin Rouge, in that it was truly a musical with random music chosen from about the 1970's on. Only instead of actors in highly stylized period dress, you had computer generated dancing penguins- and if that's what you came for, you won't leave disappointed. There were no Christina Aguilera/Pink/Maya/Lil' Kim joints, but it did at least have Fat Joe.

So today I've been doing chores and trying to remember what it's like to go to work at my office. I think I'm here for the week, then gone for two, so I better enjoy it while it lasts. Have a great week everyone!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 9:29 PM, April 01, 2007, Blogger Kate said...

That is the best graffiti ever!!! Seriously, I can't believe someone wrote that.

I'm still watching Stranger than Fiction. Having trouble concentrating on it-it seems a little slow but I trust your judgement and I'll continue.

Hope you enjoy your week home!

 
At 1:18 PM, April 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked stranger than fiction. I thought it was a original and well done. Happyfeet, it was all a metaphore for being gay, or different, or intollerant. Actually the whole thing was pretty predictable. The jokes were not that funny. The dancing was not that great, cause you cant see it with the stubby little legs. The best part about happyfeet is that it is now a good nick name for people. Like in the park in the morning... There is this guy that I always see warming up to go running, except he never runs, he just shakes his legs for like 30 minutes. I have named him Happyfeet.

In other news, ghost rider was not as good as I wanted it to be. Everything was okay till he made that god awful GRRAAAHHHH noise. The good shepard was long and pointless as well. There was not enough violence.

-jamie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home