Thursday, March 15, 2007

Chili Champ!

Every year my department (AIR 4.3.5 - Air Vehicle Engineering) holds a chili-cookoff somewhere near St. Patrick's day. This was my fourth year entering a chili, and here's a quick breakdown:

Year 1: I had never made chili before, so I pulled a recipe off the internet that looked interesting. It includes macaroni and corn, and receives no votes. As a side note, I was really hoping to capture "Rookie of the Year" honors. The only other rookie was going to bring in a green chili, and in the words of my coworker Rick, "Thinking outside the box is not rewarded in the Chili Cookoff." Unfortunately, another rookies enters at the last minute and steals the award! My buddy Mike tries to give me the nickname "Chili-mac." Luckily, it doesn't stick.

Year 2: Undiscouraged, I make my white-chicken chili that everyone loves, and finish third. No nicknames are issued, because Mikey likes it.

Year 3: I make my white-chicken chili that everyone loves, and finish second.

Year 4: Trying a different tack, I find a recipe for "Taco-Chili" on the internet. Results?
That's right, first place! And this year there were 11 entrants, so that's nothing to scoff at. Although, it's a somewhat hollow victory, because it wasn't my recipe. But hey, a win's a win! I actually got it from the Food Network website. I went with Paula Deen, because I figured if her chili was as good as her gooey cake (modified to be chocolate mint - a la Karen) I'd be set! Here's the recipe. All I really did differently was that I used canned beans instead of dried ones, and chicken broth instead of water (which I do in a lot of recipes). Oh, and ground turkey instead of ground beef, but that's a given. It actually wasn't very taco-y. Just chili-y. Maybe I'm just not a connoisseur.

So I shall proudly display my plaque in my cube, and enjoy my victory until next year when I try to defend my championship.

7 Comments:

At 5:30 PM, March 15, 2007, Blogger Kate said...

Hooray!

P.S. I thought the chili-mac was gross because corn in chili is a no-no.

 
At 8:39 PM, March 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Aunt Karen will be so proud!

 
At 11:36 PM, March 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your coworker is correct. Out-of-the-box thinking is not rewarded in chili cookoffs. I once entered a chili cookoff with a batch of what I thought was stellar Cincinnati style (Think Skyline) chili. People couldn't get over the cinnamon, ,cocoa, and slightly runny nature of this chili. It tastes excellent, but if you're not expecting it, you won't like it.

 
At 10:11 AM, March 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will have to try this chili if it is better than the democratic chili we made, what was it, 3 years ago? That sucker was awesome, but then it had like 3 bags of cheese in it.

Congratulations, Marc!

ps~ I matched into Yale!

 
At 6:52 PM, March 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! Oh son of many talents!
Next year you could go new wave and enter vegan chili . . .(;

Mom

 
At 3:34 PM, March 27, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you are going to loose your blog following if you don't post again! ;-)

 
At 3:36 PM, March 27, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, lose, not loose, though I might become less attached to the blog too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home