Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Must Love Dogs

I've been at this eHarmony thing for a while now, but I just had a match interaction like no other. I'll start off with her profile- I've copied in a handful of the sections that I thought stood out. See if you can tell why! This is probably bad eKarma, but I'm not trying to be mean. There isn't anything identifying in here, and I'm posting it for information only.

The eHarmony questions/headers are in green, and her answers verbatim in red (as you can see, I've color-coded the words red and green in case that was unclear). Oh yeah, and my smart-ass comments remain in black.

The one thing [name] is most passionate about:
my family, friends and my animals

The most important thing [name] is looking for in a person is:
Honesty and MUST love animals

[name] typically spends her leisure time:
reading, walking my dogs, on the computer, watching a movie, hanging out with friends

The things [name] can't live without are:

  • family

  • friends

  • my pets

  • music

  • food (and come on- Food? That's just glib. I've had several people list water and air as well, and they might as well just shout "I'm lazy and uncreative")

The last book [name] read and enjoyed:
any mystery I can find that I have not read yet
(Okay, that's not about dogs- but the last book you read is any one you haven't read yet? Was that question too tricky?)

The Crown Jewel:
Some additional information [name] wanted you to know is:
Whoever I am with MUST love my animals. I would NEVER move anywhere where I could not have my animals with me. My cats sleep on the bed with me and the dogs do get up on the couches. The cats also get up on the counters. If you can not live or deal with that then we will NOT work.

So that's her introductory information. We did the first questions (which are multiple choice), and then she sent me the second questions. This is the stage where you actually learn something about people- round two is open-ended questions, and you can write your own if you don't want to use the pre-made ones. So here's the question she wrote for me:
Do you have any pets? What kinds? Would you ever move somewhere where your pets could not come with you? How do you feel about pets on furniture/counters?

At this point, I figured it was a little much. I honestly answered the question, and then I got ballsy and used the rest of the space to try and help her out. I wrote:

"Honestly though [name], I'm going to give you some unsolicited advice: You might be better off if you weren't so concerned about people's pets- especially whether or not they're allowed on the furniture. It would be okay to say "must love dogs" or something, but mentioning pets in 5 different places on your profile could be overkill. Maybe just say you're looking for a fellow pet lover, and worry about the specifics once you hit open communication. I'm guessing that your 'additional info' section turns a lot of guys off."

Her reply? I got closed with my first triple play of reasons (and these are multiple choice selections):

  • I don't feel that the chemistry is there.

  • I think the difference in our values is too great.

  • Other

You can love your dogs, just don't LOVE your dogs.I didn't even know you could select more than one. Woo! Plus, since she closed me apparently now I can see her pictures. They were 1) Her at a wedding. 2) Her with a dog. 3) Her dog. Not her with her dog, just her dog. Seen here (with her caption). I'm not too upset about the loss of this match, because I wasn't all that interested to begin with, and she lives in that weird part of Virginia that only touches Maryland. Mapquest rates it at like a 6-hour drive. But, like I said, I don't fully form an opinion until the open-ended questions.

Honestly though, I hope she takes my advice. I think I'm going to periodically check her profile to see if anything changes.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11:09 PM, June 19, 2007, Blogger Pa said...

oooo there's a difference between loving your pets and LOVING your pets. It's in fact illegal to love them in that way. Good luck on your search! We all have to sort through the crazies to find the gems, at least this crazy doesn't know where you live.

 
At 6:57 AM, June 20, 2007, Blogger Kate said...

I'm glad you gave her the unsolicited advice. She needed it. I guess I should write something like "I can not live with someone unless they can handle a little cat at the foot of the bed hacking up furballs all night, and a big cat that gorges on food and then throws up on your shoes." That should probably all be first contact material, eh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home