Saturday, June 09, 2007

Crashin' a Wedding

YOU lock it up!Sorry I haven't posted anything in a while- after visiting Carly and Daniel in Connecticut, I flew straight to Jacksonville (FL) for our Navair national 4.3 (Air Vehicle Engineering- my division) Conference. That's right, three straight days of various presentations about all aspects of naval aircraft engineering. It's okay to be jealous- it's a pretty exclusive event. All jokes aside, I actually do enjoy it. I can get in to the technical stuff, but the first day is always a lot of the political/organizational talk that makes me drowsy. It was okay this year, but last year was truly spectacular: the current trend was an effort to make the agency smaller, so we were all a little concerned about losing people. The first keynote speaker's theme was "We are not getting smaller, we are simply re-focusing our efforts." He was immediately followed by the other speaker whose theme was "How to keep up with work while we continue to get smaller." You'd think they would have talked it over beforehand, or at least sensed the irony. I love working for the government!

So on my way home from the airport Friday, I got a call from Carly. She and Daniel were in Bowie for their friends Sean and Jenny's wedding, and they just realized how close that was to me. So they said "Why don't you come on up?" And I thought "Well, I'm not doing anything else. Why not?" I know Sean and Jenny well enough, but really only through Carly and Daniel, and it's a pretty small wedding. So, there isn't any room for extras at the ceremony or dinner, but I helped set up and I'm going to head back over later for the reception. This is extremely me in two ways: 1. I'll go to a wedding, help set up tables, chairs, flowers, etc but not stay for the actual ceremony, and 2. I have so little to do on a weekend that I'll drive an hour to not go to a wedding. But really, the main reason I came is to hang out with Carly and Daniel a little more. I know I just saw them last weekend, but once Carly starts her residency Tuesday, her free time is going to be pretty scarce.

So anyway, I better get changed. Here's another Marc fun-fact: I'm going to wear the exact same shirt, pants and tie that I wore for my college graduation five years ago. I haven't accumulated any new dress clothes since then. Thank you, business casual!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, June 10, 2007, Blogger Kate said...

The reality here is that you have lost a fair amount of weight since college, so I think that outfit may resemble a tent on you!

Dress nicely at work-people notice...at least in my division...too bad I don't listen to my own advice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home