Friday, June 01, 2007

Random Minutia Post

Last night I was talking to Carly on the phone, and I was explaining that I have a three day weekend, and absolutely nothing to do with it. She commented that this is her last free weekend before going back to work, and before you knew it, I was buying a ticket to Connecticut. What are we going to do there? Who knows, but it should be better than sitting around here!

So here's a bunch of thoughts/links that i stumbled across throughout the week that I wanted to share, yet none of them merit their own post.

  • Last weekend I saw the new Pirates of the Caribbean, and I liked it. But you know what? It was confusing. Every character has deals with every other character, some they plan on keeping, some they're just lying about, people are constantly double-crossing each other- by halfway through the movie (which is about 90 minutes) I was totally lost. Plus, it has that loopy Mummy Returns quality of "Oh, now that this obscure spell is activated we must counter it with this obscure spell" which is a little too arbitrary for my tastes. As we were walking out of the theatre I said "Was anyone else totally lost by the end?" and my friends were like "Oh good, I thought I was the only one." I still recommend seeing it, but be prepared.


  • As a side note, what exactly does Orlando Bloom bring to the table? Granted he was in two of the biggest trilogies of modern cinema, and he did a passable job, but was he really that good in anything? I know the ladies like him, but I just don't see what makes him stand out from the crowd.


  • Check out the awesome Vader project.


  • I bought the new Linkin Park CD, which I have been dying to get because their first two albums were so good. This one? Meh. What I love the most about their music is the complexity and structure, but this one kind of phones it in. For example, here's the chorus of one of my favorite songs ever, Numb:

    I've become so numb / I can't feel you there

    Become so tired / so much more aware
    I'm becoming this / all I want to do
    Is be more like me / and be less like you

    Now here's The Shadow of the Day, off the new album:

    And the sun will set for you,

    The sun will set for you.
    And the shadow of the day,
    Will embrace the world in grey,
    And the sun will set for you.

    Do you see the difference? You can hear it.


  • MSN messenger keeps giving me a link to the story "Who's to Blame for Lindsay Lohan's Behavior?" Uh, how about Lindsay Lohan? Damn generation E and their lack of accountability.


  • Jesse Jackson's peeved because the Martin Luther King memorial will have two sculptures done by a Chinese sculptor- even though he was chosen by the 90% African-American design committee and referred to them by an African-American artist.


  • Here's a video about the top 10 video game weapons. You don't necessarily have to watch it, but they ranked the red shell in Mario Kart #2, and they are so right.
Okay, that's it. Have a great weekend everyone!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5:19 PM, June 01, 2007, Blogger Kate said...

I love the heat seeking red shell.

Hope you have fun at Carly and Daniel's-I know you will run down the DS!

 
At 10:07 PM, June 12, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw the new "Pirates" last weekend. Great special effects but really thin on plot. Boggles the mind how all of these totally ruthless, basically dead pirates can be controlled by "the code" Guess it just might not be my thing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home