Thursday, May 31, 2007

Miss America

You know what? So Miss America fell in the Miss Universe pageant. It happens to the best of us, and I'm not going to pile on her for it like every news outlet in the nation. Plus, she took it like a champ. If you haven't seen it, here's one of the eight million versions on YouTube.

What I'm a little ticked about is that the audience ruthlessly booed her (before and after the fall) and even chanted "Mexico" when she was answering a question. Oh yeah, the pageant was in Mexico City. That's important. The leading theory is that the audience was showing their displeasure at the United States, largely due to immigration restrictions.

Don't get me wrong- I'm all for legal immigration. If someone wants to come here, become a part of America, and contribute to society, go for it. But I don't really care for the whole theory of "I hate you because you won't let me come in your country and do what I please." And what I really don't understand is showing this by chanting "Mexico." It's just like all the immigration reform marches when protesters waved Mexican flags. What's that supposed to mean? "I'm going to show you how much I think I deserve to be in your country by waving the flag of my home nation, which I am fleeing like a sinking ship so I can live in your much better, non-third world country which I purport to despise?"

What this boils down to is that anti-American sentiment really grinds my gears, especially when it's not the justifiable anti-war kind. Oh yeah, and congratulations to Miss Japan!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home