Sunday, June 10, 2007

Crashin' Update

I arrived at the wedding right as dinner was wrapping up, which was actually just in time for cake. It must have been about 9:30 when Carly called to give me the OK, and I actually considered bailing on it. I haven't left for an activity at 9:30 pm since college! But I went over, and boy am I glad I did. I had a freakin' blast!

Lady KillasI talked with a few folks for a while, heard about Carly and Daniel's toast (it wasn't really a toast, but a joint speech about the couple during the ceremony), and it looked like everything was great. As frantic as the setting was beforehand, now everyone was relaxed and saying things like "Oh, you should've come for the whole thing! It was great!" Well, wrap that idea up and mail it to 3 hours ago. But, the best part was when one of the bridesmaids came over to our table and told us they were trying to get the dance floor started, and asked us if we would head on over.

I am no dancer. But, Carly, Daniel and I made a pact that we would stick together out there, no matter how dumb we looked. We started bopping around a little, and within the first song I had an epiphany: I don't know a darn person at this wedding, and will most likely never see any of them again (well, other than Carly, Daniel, Sean and Jenny, but who's counting). So I started just bustin' moves. It was fantastic.

They played all the hits: Shout, Twist and Shout, and even some without shout in the title. They asked for requests, and we were debating either putting in for Ice Ice Baby or The Humpty Dance. Near the end of the night they played them both- I figure the DJ must have heard us. Those songs totally aren't popular enough for that to be a coincidence. I even got to dance with an extremely cute bridesmaid during a couple slow songs. Turns out she's a marathon-running mechanical engineer who works for NASA, specifically on the treadmill for the international space station. Be still my beating heart! It's unfortunate that she lives in Houston, but I was still pretty fortunate that I was the only single guy at the wedding.

Toast MastasThe best dancer there was undoubtedly the flower girl- she really brought her A game! At one point she got into a little dance-off with one of the groomsmen, and totally schooled him. After he ceded defeat, I said "Dude, you got served!" but no one heard me. Then, 10 seconds later he says "I got served!" and riotous laughter erupts. Jerk- those laughs were rightfully mine. Like when I said the limoncello shot they passed out for the final toast tasted like a wetnap, and Carly totally bogarted the joke later. FYI, I drank about a half teaspoon just to see- I still don't drink. It reminded me why.

We left the premises sweaty and dishevelled around 12:30, but only because the DJ pulled up stakes and left. We went back to the hotel, but we were still pretty wound up so we played some Tetris DS before crashing around 1:30. Inevitably followed by me being completely awake at 6:30. Which is why I need to go to bed pretty quickly here.

All in all, great weekend. I've done more social activities in the last few weeks than I had in months, so it's been fun. I don't think I can keep up this pace in my old age though, so I might have to take it easy for a little while. Have a great week everyone!

Update: For the record, Carly's comment was totally true- after the cute bridesmaid laughed at the wetnap comment she totally gave me credit. And the college-era dress shirt was waaay too big. You can kind of tell in the picture. By the way, we were totally giving the camera the eye to be funny- we don't usually walk around like that.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 11:26 PM, June 10, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like you to note that I gave you credit for the wetnap joke to the cute bridesmaid after I saw her laugh and think it was funny. It if flopped, I was going to take the fall... So glad you could me there! It sure made the wedding more fun for me. Also, you forgot to mention how Jenny's mother thought we looking so dissimilar that we must have had different fathers. For anyone who hasn't met us both, we sort of share the male/female versions of the same face, and this was the first person I can ever remember who thought we didn't look alike.

 
At 11:11 AM, June 11, 2007, Blogger Kate said...

Based on Carly's comment I am under the impression that Jenny's mother suffers from a blindness like no other. You even have the same hands! I'm so shocked by that comment that I'm practically speechless.

It is funny though because you guys look really similar, but Marc definitly favors your Mom and Carly definitely favors your Dad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home