Thursday, April 26, 2007

Everything to Everyone

I've loved Barenaked Ladies (the band, I mean) for years, but I never really got into their album Everything for Everyone that came out waaay back in 2003. I gave it a few listens, loved "Another Postcard" but nothing else caught my attention, and I moved on. Now, true to form I have rediscovered the album 3 and a half years later and I'm hooked on it. In any case, when I (Kate) bought it, it looked like this: Original CoverI liked the cover- I figured that the blank flag was a play off of the title, the joke being that they were a clean slate and didn't have a particular agenda- meaning they could be whatever anyone wanted.

Now, last weekend I figured out (Howard told me) how to add album art to my iPod. When I play the album, it shows up as this: New Cover Much more descriptive, yes, but it sort of ruins the whole implied joke. Of course, it's entirely possible that I imagined the joke to begin with. Am I way off base here?

And for the record, if you haven't listened to the album then you really should. The tracks I'm hooked on are:
2. Maybe Katie- A catchy song, but I like the bridge the best.
3. Another Postcard- Fun-loving, toungue in cheek BNL brilliance.
5. For You- Sweet, sad lyrics that seem drawn from experience.
8. Upside Down- The type of finely crafted, non-radio friendly gem that the group is famous for.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 8:01 PM, April 28, 2007, Blogger Kate said...

I was at Wal-mart today trying to buy the new album and they didn't have it. I can only guess they censored the name of the band, and that is just ridiculous.

And OBTW (ha ha!) you should buy Born on a Pirate Ship for me as a thank you for all the BNL you've ripped off. And Maroon 5...but I'll take the burned copy. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home