Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Worst Songs of the 90's?

So some NBC affiliate did a list of the worst songs of the 1990's. I clicked through to see which ones they had chosen. Billy Ray Cyrus - Achy Breaky Heart? True. Master P - Make 'Em Say Uhhh! Yes, that song was garbage. Then they name some like Guns 'N Roses - November Rain, which I always liked and Ugly Kid Joe - Cats in the Cradle which was a darn fine cover. I saw Wilson Phillips - Hold On and thought "Hmm- I don't really agree with some of their choices." But nothing, nothing could prepare for the ultimate insult of the following inclusion:



Mr. Big - To Be With You.

Are they serious? Worst songs of the 90's? That song was, and is, freaking fantastic. Not only is it one of the best key changes in pop music, but the video also totally stands the test of time.* If you don't like that song, you are un-American. NBC 4, you have terrible taste. There I said it.

* 50% of that sentence was facetious.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 10:02 PM, January 22, 2008, Blogger Andy said...

While I don't necessarily agree with everything on the list, it really doesn't matter because they got the most important ones right:
Anything by Limp Bizkit
Right Said Fred - "I'm too Sexy"
Los del Mar - "Macarena"
Shaq - "Strait Playin'"
Lou Bega - "Mambo No. 5"

I've never paid too attention to pop music, but when a pop song shows up on my radar, I'm probably not going to like it.

The only album I have on the list I still have is Tubthumping, which despite the title song, was a pretty solid album, albeit a showcase for the group's leftist politics. At least they didn't hide it.

But I do think I had an MC Hammer Cassette single back in the day.

 
At 11:33 PM, January 22, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hindsight is always 20/20, mister! I am guilty of jamming unabashadly to "Achy Breaky Heart" and "Make 'Em Say Uhhh". While they may not be the most profound pieces of music, they will always hold a special place in my heart!

However, they were dead wrong when it came to "Hold On" and "To Be With You"! Wilson Phillips was the first tape I got when I got my sweet new Sony Walkman! They can never take that away from me... NEVER!

-Ramya

 
At 5:07 PM, January 23, 2008, Blogger drqshadow said...

Re: To Be With You... I strongly disagree. :)

 
At 3:11 PM, January 24, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I'll say it. When "To Be with You" comes on the radio, I still rock out. And I don't care what anyone thinks about it.

 
At 4:39 PM, January 24, 2008, Blogger kismetsCIRCUS said...

It takes a very secure man to admit to enjoying Mr. Big. Bravo Marc, Bravo.

 
At 9:21 AM, January 29, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always Marc, I agree with you about 75% of the time! I won't say what falls into the 25% pile of disagreement.

 
At 3:07 PM, February 01, 2008, Blogger Selena said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3:14 PM, February 01, 2008, Blogger Selena said...

I found your blog while searching for Patriots graphics for a friend, and your blog was in the search results.. Anyway, I agree with most of what they listed but I didn't think anyone else would still agree that To Be With You was such a great song. I listen to it all the time, and every time I'd always think God, I am so lame! But I love it! It's such a sweet simple song. Good to know I'm not alone. (sorry for the delete, thought i posted on the wrong entry.. duh)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home