Saturday, December 22, 2007

Christmas Eve Eve Eve

I'm blogging from Lansing, Michigan today as we enter the last few days before Christmas. Oddly enough, it's actually warmer here than it was in Southern Maryland. But there is one key difference: snow. There's probably about 5 inches on the ground, and with a little luck it'll still be there when Ramya gets here Sunday night. But that's not the only thing I've noticed that's different. To name a few:

When you go into a store and ask a question about an item, the salesperson can answer your question. This may sound simple to urban residents, but in Lexington Park, the employee will come up to you and ask "Do you have any questions I can answer?" If you ask, say, "Is this TV a full 1080p, or is it just 720p?" They might say "Oh , this is a high-definition set." What's more likely is that they will stare blankly for a second, say "Umm," then start reading the stickers on the TV or reach for a brochure. It's like, why did you ask if I needed help when you clearly can't give it?

Also, when you are one of many people going through a door, the person in front of you holds it for you. I then will say "thank you," and hold the door for the next person, who then says "thank you" to me. Simple, right? In Maryland, you hold open the door for people and they breeze right past without even making eye contact.

Sort of like driving- at the mall, if you're waiting to turn onto the main parking lot thruway, someone will pause and wave you in. It's a miracle! I've gotten used to sitting for up to 5 minutes waiting to get out.

So anyway, I'm almost done with shopping, but I thought I would take a minute to do this year's version of the Christmas "getting to know you" chain e-mail. Why? Because the little "Maryland people are rude" rant was the only other idea I had. So without further ado:

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I try to wrap whenever possible, and only use bags for really weird-shaped things, like an ornament that didn't come with a box. Now, my mom loves the gift bags. I'm not talking about the quaint, decorated paper bags with some tissues paper around the gift, I'm saying that she has holiday ziplock plastic bags. She feels the best part is that they're totally reusable- which I can attest to because I think she just has one or two with "To: Marc, From: Mom" written on them that she has used for my gifts the last 3 years. I can appreciate the green nature of the bags, but sliding that little easy zipper over just doesn't have the thrill of tearing wrapping paper. Also, mom eats popcorn and other foodstuffs out of them the rest of the year.

2. Real or Artificial tree? You just can't beat the financial and environmental superiority of the fake tree. And now you can get them pre-lit! And they don't stab you or drop needles like a real tree! Okay, another story: When I worked at the theatre in high school, the Christmas show included 3 massive trees that we had to construct and light every year*- and I mean the side trees were about 15 feet tall, while the middle one was a solid 25. Not only did the lights have to be on there dense as can be, they were lit in color and white lights (which was pretty cool- they'd be white for the classic numbers and color for the fun stuff). So, every year I would spend four hours a day for about two weeks stringing lights on Christmas trees. Then I wold get home and my parents would say "Hey, since you're so good at stringing lights, why don't you do our tree?"

*My senior year we figured out how to store the trees fully assembled, making putting them up a one-day operation. I see this as one of my contributions to younger generations of techies.

3. When do you put up the tree? The day after Thanksgiving, to thoroughly maximize the display time vs. setup time ratio.

4. When do you take the tree down? New Year's day. What else are you going to do while watching football?

5. Do you like Eggnog? I can't stand eggs unless they're cooked enough to be totally hard. If they're a little runny, I cook them some more. Why would I want an egg beverage?

6. Favorite Gift you received as a child? Wow, I think the original Nintendo may still hold the top spot! Closely rivaled by the original Gameboy. Not that these items were better then their successors, but they were such a technological jump at the time. I will say that the Wii (Ramya gave it to me for birthday/Christmas) is steadily climbing the chart. Does anyone notice the theme?

It would be a cold day in Hell7. Do you have a nativity scene? Nope. Though adding one of those is a lot more likely than me adding a blow-up santa in a helicopter or animated wire-frame deer.

8. Hardest person to buy for? My aunt Karen.

9. Easiest person to buy for? Dad- if I see a gadget or multi-tool or multi-pocketed carrying case and I think "That's cool!" it's a pretty safe bet that Dad will like it too.

10. Worst Christmas gift ever received? I can't think of any that were bad, per se. Although one time an ex-girlfriend's family gave me what they thought was a marble "bathroom set," but was actually a "smoker's set" complete with ashtray and cigarette case. It was clearly used, clearly from a garage sale, and was in a blue velvet presentation box.

11. Christmas Cards...Snail mail or E-mail? Snail mail- although it's a pretty moot point this year, because I'm such a lazy jerk that I did neither.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? Scrooged is not only my favorite version of A Christmas Carol, it's probably Bill Murray's best work next to Groundhog Day.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Too late, but I'm almost done for this year!

14. Have you ever 'recycled' a Christmas present? One year I got two nearly identical all-purpose tool kits. I gave Carly one for her birthday, but she knew I was re-gifting and I gave her other stuff, too.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Christmas Casserole (in which the egg is fully cooked)! Actually, this is probably the first way I ever ate eggs, knowingly or otherwise.

16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Clear lights outside, colored on the tree. And nowhere will you find the blinking kind!

17. Favorite Christmas Song? To quote myself from last year: "Little Drummer Boy *sniff.* Favorite arrangement would be Mannheim Steamroller's Carol of the Bells, and for a contemporary song I like Mariah Carey's All I want for Christmas is You. Shut up."

18. Travel at Christmas or Stay Home? I can't imagine spending Christmas in Lexington Park. Although now that Mom and Jim also live in Lansing, it's been a lot easier this year!

19. Can you name Santa's Reindeer? I totally just did. Go me!

20. Do you have an Angel or a Star on top of your tree? I have nada. I like the pure simplicity of an undecorated 20-inch fiber optic tree.

21. Open the Presents Christmas Eve or Morning? Always morning. I never heard of opening them Christmas Eve until after childhood.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? Crowds. Hands-down.

23. Shopping...Mall or online? I do as much online as possible, but for some things you just have to dive right into the belly of the beast.

24. Do you decorate outside for Christmas or just inside (or at all)? I like to think it looks tasteful:

25. Favorite Christmas cookie? I think I'll stick with sprits- the little cookies you shoot out of a press and eat by the handfull. Closely followed by cresents.

26. Do you own Christmassy clothing or jewelry? Nope.

27. Do you believe in Santa? I believe in the things he represents. So sort of!

Merry Christmas!

4 Comments:

At 8:21 PM, December 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's not just a Maryland problem, but a DC area (within a 100 mile radius) problem. At Pentagon City, this guy bumped into me (I was clearly walking on the right) and SCOWLED at me. Worse, he was holding his kid's hand. That kid has no chance of growing up to be a respectful adult.

Now that I think about it, they are probably from Maryland... ewww...

 
At 8:07 PM, December 24, 2007, Blogger Kate said...

I think they were just trying to tell you how much they liked you with that gift. And if that is how they play, you should have given them a big ol' bag of cat poop for Christmas.

Ooh, spending the holidays with them is always a hoot, but the smoking set was most definitely my favorite gift ever. But at least it was black and gold.

Merry Christmas to you and your family and your sweetie pie. Oh and Mircea bought me Guitar Hero III for Wii. We've been rocking out!

 
At 11:35 PM, December 27, 2007, Blogger kismetsCIRCUS said...

FYI...artifical trees are actually not quite environmentally friendly. Most are made from PVC (I don't know the middle letter) anyway it's made from this plastic compound that generally breaks down into lead around 5 years. Plus, real tree farms generate more oxygen and are constantly rejuvenated each year with new crops. This ends the lesson in real christmas trees vs artifical debate. Sounds like you were off to a great start on Christmas.

 
At 3:57 PM, December 28, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the record: Though it is true those huge, zip-top, Christmas theme bags were great for keeping popcorn fresh I never reused one I had put snacks in. Wish I could find more of those! (:

 

Post a Comment

<< Home