Thursday, November 01, 2007

Halloween, Part 2

We had a good amount of kids last night- probably not as many as last year overall, but only 4 or 5 that were sans costume. Plus, manners seemed to be making a comeback, with most kids remembering to say "Trick or Treat" and "Thank you." Of course, there was the obligatory handful of trick-or-treaters that were old enough to drive, but what are you going to do? At least none of them were smoking this year.

I do have a ton of candy left over, but at least it's the stuff I like (gum and Skittles). Speaking of which, one of my favorite kids was a little boy that got a handful which included Dots, which I always used as one of those "filler" candies- you know, the core of Halloween being Reese's peanut butter cups and various fun size candy bars, but you round it out with Tootsie rolls and jawbreakers. Well, this kid was like "Sweet! DOTS! Allright!" As he walked away we were like "man, if he likes them that much we should have given him some more."

Oh, and Ramya and I passed the time by playing DS against each other between bouts of kids. We paused it as a group walked up and one kid said "Hey, cool, they're playing DS!" After he got his candy he asked "What game are you guys playing?" I said "Clubhouse Games- right now we're playing Rummy." His faced instantly changed as he said "Oh..." and walked away looking disappointed. Ramya was like "Aw, now he thinks we're old! You should've lied and said something cool."

But the most memorable kid of the night was an adorable little girl who was wearing a bright flowery, I don't know, peasant dress? She also had on beads, a bandanna in her hair and was carrying a doll wrapped in blankets. I asked "And what are you, a Gypsy?" She said with a smile "No, I'm a Mexican girl." Wow. I think that says alot more about the parents who approved the costume than it does about the girl wearing it.

The irony award goes to a Dad who was dressed in ratty overalls, a Nascar t-shirt and a mullet wig. "Wig" being the operative word, because that's the only thing that let us know it was a costume, because let's face it: that's what half the parents were dressed like to start with.

I hope everyone had a happy Halloween, and now we can start looking forward to Thanksgiving. As a side note, XM is now playing Christmas music. Mannhiem Steamroller, here I come!

2 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, November 02, 2007, Blogger kismetsCIRCUS said...

The Chicago easy-listening (not my choice) radio station here is playing Christmas music as well. We were jamming out before we all said, "wait! It's only the 2nd of November!" People are eager.

 
At 1:08 PM, November 03, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am totally eager for Christmas! As I will be in the ICU for the month of December, I figure I should get my holiday cheer in while I can enjoy it, as I will most likely be in a semi-delirium during the time it is appropriate to celebrate. Last night I was campaigning for putting up our tree in the next couple weeks to Daniel, but he shot me down. When we get back from Vegas, we will see who wins this standoff... ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home