Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween

If you don't understand my costume, check out Talladega Nights. In one of the best scenes, Cal explains that he likes to picture Jesus in a tuxedo t-shirt, because it says "I want to be formal, but I'm here to party." So when I saw the shirt for $8 at Steve & Barry's, the costume practically made itself. However, I think that even though the package clearly says "Jesus Wig and Beard Set," it looks more like Hagrid.

In a related story, my co-worker Dave's brother has quite a knack for pumpkin carving- check out his work from the last few years. Highly impressive! Of course, Dave's one of those guys that makes awesome pictures on an Etch-a-Sketch, so obscure art might be his family's thing. The way my family's thing is...um...yeah.

In a completely unrelated story, I was watching LA Ink last night. I used to love Miami Ink, because I liked hearing the stories about why people wanted their tattoo, watching the artist come up with art that worked for the person, then seeing the finished product. Like a documentary, you know? Of course these days they're doing their best to make it a crappy reality show- now half the show is the guys trying to open their own bar, or learning to surf. My question is, who cares about that crap? Anyway, LA Ink follows the same format, but last night it sunk to a new low. Sebastian Bach came in to get a tattoo, and he and Kat (the tattoo artist) had this exchange (quotes approximate):

Kat: So what Tattoo do you want?
Sebastian Bach: I'd like to get the cover art to my new album, "Angel Down."
K: Oh you have a new album? What's it like?
SB: Well, it officially hits stores November 20th, but I brought a copy if you want to check it out!
[They put on the CD, and Sebastian lip syncs to it while Kat tattoos him for about 15 seconds]
Kat (in confessional): Sebastian's new CD "Angel Down" was so amazing, I wanted to stop tattooing and just rock out!

At this point I turned off the TV, because it was that blatant. Prominently holding your Pepsi can is one thing, but such overt product placement, in which "real" people have such an obviously scripted conversation during what is supposed to be their normal day is such a turn off. But I guess companies are doing whatever they can when people are TiVoing shows and fast forwarding through all the commercials. That's what I do.

Anyway, Ramya's coming down tonight to help pass out candy, because apparently that's quite a novelty for DC apartment dwellers. Hopefully there will be more costumes and less rudeness than last year!

1 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, October 31, 2007, Blogger drqshadow said...

Not to offend, but these guys make the best pumpkins I've ever seen... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home