Monday, July 02, 2007

10 Years and Counting

So I got up at 3:00 a.m. on Saturday, left for the airport right around 4:00, and got there in plenty of time for my 6:45 flight. I slept all the way through that bad boy and landed in Cincinnati at 8 something. I had 4 hours to kill, so I tried to sleep, but couldn’t because the CNN airport network was absolutely blaring at every gate. So I kind of sat there with my eyes closed, until about 11:00 when I wandered back to see if the Gold Star chili was open yet. It was, and it was spectacular!

Eventually I got on my flight to South Bend, slept from wheels up to touchdown, and ta-dah, back home again in Indiana! Only a scant 41 hours later than planned. I made my way to the baggage claim, waited, and here’s the shocker: my bag never showed up. I went to the baggage counter and asked about it. The lady types a whole bunch and says “Oh, here they are. We have them right…in…Baltimore.” That’s right- they never left. I even mentioned it when I checked in, and they said it was all taken care of. So I give her my address, blah blah. I went home, took about an hour nap, showered, put my same clothes back on and headed to the reunion.

It was much more fun than I expected! The club-room thing at the Cove was actually pretty nice- there was plenty of space for tables and chairs, and there was even some stadium seating where all the significant others could watch the ballgame. We had a decent turnout- I’d estimate there were about 50 or 60 classmates there, which is significantly better than the 20 or 30 Howard said came to his. And for a class of 240 people, a fifth to a quarter is not bad. My friend/sophmore year at Purdue roommate James was there, but other than him, there weren’t really any first-tier people there that I wanted to see. No Andrew, no Brad, Jamie, Chris- pretty much no band or tech crew people. Nonetheless, there were still plenty of people that I really enjoyed catching up with.

So how did everyone look? In a word, old. It was actually much harder to recognize people than I thought it was going to be! Some people looked the same, but most had put on at least 20 pounds. I think I was about the only person who had lost weight since high school, which leads to the next thought- They had a little contest where you could vote for who had changed the most or least in the last 10 years. Well, I placed second in the “changed the most” category! Martin Bohman was #1, but he earned it- I would not have been able to pick him out of a lineup. So after they announced that, I asked a few people if I really looked that different. They always answered something like “Oh God yes!” or “I didn’t realize it was you until you started talking!” I asked what’s so different, and they all said “You’re so skinny!” I’ve made the conscious decision to take this as a compliment.

The other interesting note was that I seemed to be the only person who came from more than about an hour away. People would ask where I was living, and I’d say Maryland. They’d say “And you flew all the way out here for this?” Well, no it was kind of a stop on my trip. But nonetheless, it was worth it. I stayed until 11ish, declined going out for drinks after it broke up (I did get up at 3:00) and headed for home.

So yeah, I got to see pictures of classmates’s 8 & 9 year old kids, hear some stories (some people are doing great, some people have had it rough), and generally reminisce about the old days. Since it’s coming up for a lot of us, I definitely recommend attending the 10-year reunion. I can’t wait to see what’s happening at the 20!

Now I’m at the cottage, where I’ll be kickin’ it with various family members for the next few days, and then I head back to the LP Saturday. I might not do too many updates, because it is a pain on this dial-up connection. Oh yeah, and my luggage finally showed up Sunday night. It was nice to have deodorant and new underwear. Have a great week everyone!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 11:00 PM, July 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you didn't blog by dial-up. At least that was the story from my house before I got high speed at home. What's up with that?

 
At 8:18 PM, July 03, 2007, Blogger Marc said...

Ugh...Doing that post was like pulling teeth! Notice that there are no pictures or links. After 5 minutes of struggling I gave up, typed it up in word, and then just copied and pasted it to blogger. This is like the stone age!

 
At 8:43 PM, July 03, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So get over the stone age and tell us how Transformers was! We look to you for your movie guidance. Tomorrow we either want to see 1) Live Free or Die Hard or 2) Transformers. How we will know what to choose?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home