Friday, November 18, 2005

The Joy of Sudoku

I realized that I'm pushing a month with no posts, so I'll make one quick one before I forget about it.

If you haven't tried Sudoku yet, you're really missing out. It runs in USA Today right next to the crossword, as well as several other papers. It's sort of a crossword puzzle for those of us who are better with logic than words. What I like is that every puzzle is solvable- it's just a matter of time. Whereas I can stare at a crossword puzzle for hours and never think of 12 letter word for "hearty guffaw or jailable offense."

For those of us who wasted many hours while we should have been studying by playing Snood, there is a Sudoku variant appropriately titled "Snoodoku." Instead of being based on numbers 1 through 9, it uses nine different Snoods (since there isn't actually any math in the game, any symbol will do). I haven't tried it yet, but it seems like it would be Sudoku only more difficult for no good reason. I'm guessing they only made it because the name "Snoodoku" was so perfect.

And by the way, the crossword answer was "manslaughter" and I did eventually figure it out. I gave myself a gold star that day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home