Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Homecoming #1 -or- Alumni Band

So last weekend Kate and I made the 12-hour drive back to West Lafayette, Indiana for our first official return to Purdue since Graduation in August of 2002. I say "official" because we went to a football game like 2 weeks after graduation, and that barely counted. Anyway, I hadn't been to the campus for a solid 3 years. I guess 3 years doesn't sound like much if you've been out for a while, but it felt like forever for young grads like us.

The centerpiece of Homecoming was, of course, the disaster of a football game against Northwestern, which we lost 34-29. Ironically, I'm sure they scheduled Northwestern thinking it would be an easy win that would convince us to donate lost of cash, but no one could predict how bad the team would be this year. Just read my previous post. The main accomplishment of the trip is that we bought a ridiculous amount of Purdue stuff.

This was also my first opportunity to take part in the Alumni Marching Band, which I guess is how band dorks relive the glory days. While I was in school, I'd see the old alumni out there rehearsing for homecoming, and it always looked like they were having a lot of fun. I'd think "Wow, I can't wait to come back for alumni band!" Then I'd remember, "Wait, I do this every weekend, and I'm pretty tired of it." Apparently they get the old band back together every two years. I passed on it the first time, because I hadn't had a chance to miss it yet. This year Eric convinced me to give it a go.

So back in the day I marched bass drum, up until my super senior year when I did tenors. The only real reason for the switch was that it was the only marching percussion thing I had yet to do (if you count high school, and I do). I was even bass drum segment leader at one point- and yes, that was on my resume. I like to think it helped.

I figured since I'm not the young man I used to be, I'd sign up for bass. Being the thinking man's drum it wouldn't matter as much that my physical skills have been steadily slipping away (I've barely played since graduation). But, as it turns out a lot of people had the same idea, and I was asked to play tenors. Let me give you a little tip: Everyone always feels sorry for the guy with the biggest bass drum, because it weighs so much. Well, the biggest bass weighs about 50 pounds altogether. Do you know how much a set of custom Yamaha tenors goes for? 75 pounds! So I knew I was in for a long day. They even convinced Eric to do Tenors, and he hadn't played them since high school. He soldiered on valiantly, but it was way too much to learn in one day.

Friday night was the music rehearsal. Nothing was really new- they ran us through a battery of school songs and band classics (Louie Louie, the Horse, the Hey Song). There were two interesting things about this: First, I was surprised that if you asked me how to play the songs I couldn't tell you, but as soon as we launched into them I didn't even need the music. It was like total recall, only without all the awesome sci-fi stuff. However, just because I remembered how to play stuff doesn't mean I could. Simple stuff took a little while to come back.

Saturday morning was the marching rehearsal, and we put the drill with the music. I have to say, I was having an awesome time. It was the atmosphere of band, but without the pressure. Everyone was there because the really wanted to be- to the extent of traveling several hours to be drilled. I did notice that after we played something I would snap back to attention and stand there for a handful of seconds before I remembered that this wasn't "actual" band, and that I am an "adult" who can move while the director's talking. Old habits die hard.

The game was great. We played, we did cheers, started the wave- just like the old days. Only this time, by the end of the day my back, feet, shoulders, hands etc. were killing me. Doing the "Block P" at halftime was more fun than I ever thought it could be, and the "I am an American" routine almost brought a tear to my eye. Reminiscing is weird- the stuff that really brings you back are the little things you never really thought about at the time. Like the drum instructor yelling "Hook up!" or Kate waving to me from the audience.

All in all, I don't know if Alumni Band makes you feel young or old. In the midst of doing bandy things you feel like a kid again, but then you look around and wonder "Who are all these old people? And why am I so sore?" So I guess I felt sort of young, sort of old, but definitely dorky.

It was a fun trip. In addition to all the Purdue stuff, we were able to see my sister Carly and Daniel and spend a few hours in Indianapolis. It may be the Hoosier in me (shudder) but I really like Indy. We were able to hit some stores and load up on Colts schwag that you can't find around here (including this jersey, that Kate is just adorable in), being that Baltimore is still a little miffed at the Colts. But as I tell all the Ravens fans, how do you think Cleveland feels?

So it looks like we're going to try to get back for homecoming about every 3 years. That puts me in alumni band once every 6 years, which should be a good interval. Daniel was taking pictures at the game, so eventually I hope I can get some of those up on here. Until then, the only souvenirs I have are callouses and this temporary tattoo that will not come off my arm. Thank God I didn't put it on my face.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home