Monday, March 10, 2008

Temperature Hysteresis

It's been pretty cold here as of late. It seemed like we were on our way to spring, and then bam! Below freezing for a week. So today was a nice surprise- it warmed up quite a bit and was sunny. Still, I was a little surprised to see kids in my neighborhood outside hanging around and skateboarding in shorts and t-shirts. I checked the temperature outside: 48 degrees. I mean, yes, it's 28 degrees warmer than yesterday, but is it really time for shorts when we're still sub-50?

This is a phenomenon that always amazed me in college. If it got down to 70 in the summer, people would break out the coats and hats. And yet, the first time it got up to 60 in the spring people dressed like they were in a heat wave. Call me crazy, but I don't think I've ever done that. Cold is cold regardless of season.

Anyhow, I'm working on a real post- I just thought about this on the way home.

1 Comments:

At 8:53 PM, March 10, 2008, Blogger Kate said...

Don't forget you've been out of town for a little while. It was actually super warm here several times last week. I mean, like 60's in the morning and 70's in the afternoon. The kids are still idiots, but as recently as Thursday it was quiet warm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home