Thursday, September 06, 2007

Post-Labor Day

Yeah, I haven't posted anything for awhile. It's been a combination of lots of travel, not much time, and not much that struck me as "blog worthy." But just in case you're wondering what the next few weeks hold for me, it's sort of an improving travel progression: Next week I'm in New Orleans (boo!), after that England (meh), then finally a week in San Diego (yeah!). The crazy part is that the weekends therein are Ramya's birthday (we're going to Rehoboth Beach with a bunch of her friends) and Ramya's birthday party (we're going to a karaoke place) so I might have to do creative packing/laundry at Ramya's house. I've had worse stretches of travel, so I should be able to work it out.

But this brings up a more pressing issue: the Karaoke theme is the '80s, so what songs should I plan to sing? My leading candidates are Against All Odds, Total Eclipse of the Heart, Hold On to the Night...I don't know. The most important thing is to not have to jump octaves while other people are listening. Keep in mind that I'm not trying out for American Idol (for so many reasons) but this will be the first time I meet a ton of Ramya's friends. And what would be more comfortable than going up on stage and belting out a tune for them? Hmm, maybe some REO Speedwagon. Or Chicago. I'm taking suggestions!

In any case, I hope everyone had an enjoyable labor day! It was definitely nice here- I actually turned off the air conditioning and opened the windows for a few days until Monday night, when the humidity beat me into submission again. Sunday we went for a nice bike ride wherein I established a killer farmer's tan. Seriously- the shirt I wore to work today has slightly shorter sleeves and I look little ridiculous. Then on Monday we had my friends Shelley and Theresa over for a cookout. We enjoyed the deck, and even played a little Planet Hollywood (I won't describe it, but you can tell from the title that it plays to my strengths) before moving inside because the sun was too dang bright. Once inside, they challenged me too (get ready) Scene It. Fools! Shelley gave me a run for my money but I remain undefeated.

Maybe I could go a little more obscure with Hold on Loosely or High on You. Hmm, I'm going to have to see what they have available when I get there.

By the way, my favorite quote of the weekend came while we while passing the base's aircraft museum:

Me: We'll go there sometime when you're ready to see me totally geek out.
Ramya: You haven't totally geeked out yet?

I'll try to keep you posted while I'm on the road these next few weeks, but internet availability might be sketchy.

Totally unrelated: Check out some awesome wedding announcements.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 6:45 PM, September 09, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have yet to try karaoke (no one sings in my key since Karen Carpenter) but I think the most important thing is to try! Was it in "My Best Friend's Wedding" where the girl was totally horrible and everyone loved her for just getting up there? I just would not make a recording so results could not be documented -Kind of like taping a wedding -just go for the moment!
Let us know how it went!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home