Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Hot? Apparently Not.

Several years ago (actually, right after college) Kate and I decided to put our pictures on Hot Or Not. For those you in the generation above me, Hot or Not is a website where people can anonymously and mercilessly rate other people's appearance on a scale of 1 to 10, or upload their own picture if they want to take it while they dish it out. It you haven't tried it, you should. It's incredibly addictive.

Anyway, Kate and I subjected ourselves to the best judges the internet has to offer. Back in the day, you could only have one picture so we each made two accounts. I had one with a picture Kate took of me that I hated, and one with a picture from my Purdue graduation that I really liked. Well, the picture I liked got a 7 point something (and I don't have it to show you), so we ended up swapping it for a picture of me that Dad took at Christmas a few years ago. The results?

Picture I don't like: 8.0

Not bad, but I just don't think that this picture looks like me. It looks like I have no chin, and I'm not even smiling. Actually, I'm kind of half-smiling, which is something I could never really pull off on purpose. Maybe it was helping me here.
As a side note, this picture did recieve a 10 vote- my only picture to ever do so. Moving on.


Picture I do like: 7.6

I think I like this picture because I think it looks like me. In general, I don't think I photograph well. So, it earns a 7.6. Lower than the picture that I don't think looks like me, but not bad.

So after these two pictures have sat on Hot or Not for like 4 years, I decided to throw in a new picture that I think looks good.

New picture: 2.8

That's right. A 2.8. Am I missing something? It's not like I'm offended that people don't think I'm hot, it's that this is so much lower than the others. When I checked it I had received 10 votes: two 5's, one 4, three 2's, and four 1's. Four 1's! That means that 40% of the people who viewed this picture thought that I was the lowest level of attractiveness they could comprehend! 40% don't think I could be any uglier! How can that be?
Again, I'm not hurt, I'm baffled.

Update: The score for this picture has crept up to a more respectable yet still ego-bruising 4.1. I have actually recieved some 8's and 9's, but still have more 1's than any other rating.

2 Comments:

At 8:12 AM, October 12, 2006, Blogger Kate said...

I think the saddest part of this is that you and I both put a tiny bit of stock in what other people think. You know that people are probably clicking through hoping they'll find some half naked people.

Don't put a lot of stock into this. Put the stock in the fact that a girl who's currently getting a 9 thinks you're adorable!

 
At 4:05 PM, October 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow.. the first posted picture is hot!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home