Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Wednesday the 13th

Hoo-hah! I don't know if everyone's familiar with the Despair website and their Demotivators line of products, but good God were we laughing at these at work yesterday. There are several new ones, and this Overconfidence one slays me.

In other news, when I got home yesterday there was a flyer in my driveway for Builtrite homes. It's never really clear if the flyer was meant to be taped to the mailboxes and blew off, or it was on my door or what, but I get a lot of informational leaflets in my lawn. Anyway, Builtrite is the new home builder in my neighborhood, which is currently engaging in the Southern Maryland "Scorched Earth" method of land development, tearing down forest that J. Lawrence Millison personally told us was "Protected wilderness that will never be built on." I guess my point for bringing this up is that if anyone still doesn't have a firm grasp on our local housing market, these new single family homes will start from the 370's. Plus, don't get me started on businesses that spell words wrong in their name to be "catchy."

Since we're discussing the cultural hotbed that is St. Mary's county, take a look at this article. Keep in mind that St. Mary's Today is basically the local tabloid, but this brawl did actually take place at the gas station across from my old apartment. I love this paper- it's such a train wreck. I'm amazed that it actually gets published.

5 Comments:

At 7:04 PM, September 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My personal favorite demotivators...

Idiocy - Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Individuality - Always remember that you are unique. Just like everybody else.

 
At 7:22 PM, September 13, 2006, Blogger Kate said...

Holy crap this place is a hell-hole!

Just a few more years and I'm going Air Force!

 
At 7:26 PM, September 13, 2006, Blogger Kate said...

This was on the Letters to the Editor in Response to that Article. This place is nuts!

Reader Feedback


Furthering Race Relations is Duty of News Reporting, Not Relaying Facts
To the Editor:
I recently came across this quote in an article from your online edition.


"Murder and shootings involving the crowds of roaming and raging blacks leaving the Happyland Club have been a destructive tradition in St. Mary’s"

My question is how is this informative? Why do you choose these types of descriptions? Hell, anyone who knows anything about Happyland Bar knows that it is bar that is frequented by BLACK PEOPLE!!!!! To use words like "roaming and raging" in describing African American people do nothing but incite anger and to re-inforce negative stereotypes. Having been born and raised in St. Mary's County "and" frequented Happyland on several occasions, I take issue with the quote. I never thought myself of as a "roaming and raging black" Might I add, I've seen the similar descriptions for white people as well ( e.g. "redneck bars" ).

The problem with your reporting of the "facts" is when you use the "race words" you remove the focus from the criminals and their acts . The outrage then gets redirected to your description of a people rather than the crime, which is the real story. While it's not your responsibility to further race relations or break down racial stereotypes, I would think you would use better judgment in your reporting to not exacerbate them either.
Brian Thomas
(Editor's Note: A more correct description of the behavior of these after-closing crowd of hoodlums from the Happyland Club is that they act like animals, not black animals, not white animals, but simply animals. This lack of any control or accountability is more common with young blacks coming from black bars than from whites. It is up to the black community to figure out why this has happened and to exercise leadership. But in each instance those who go to prison for murder and those who go to the funeral home on a slab are black. But perhaps if we don't mention the race, there will be no skin color listed on the prison entrance forms or the medical examiner's report and we will all live happily ever after in racial harmony.)

 
At 8:53 AM, September 14, 2006, Blogger Marc said...

Yeah, the "raging blacks" line was the one that really grabbed me.
What's even better is the editor's defense of the comment, which only makes them seem more ignorant.

And they wonder why we transplants don't like the locals.

 
At 10:51 AM, September 14, 2006, Blogger The Cosgroves said...

Mike gets a kick out of Builtrite because they they use their name to tell you they are building your house correctly. Shouldn't that be assumed? - J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home