Monday, September 11, 2006

No Big Thing

I'm pretty surprised by the concern people have expressed about my last post- not the current tree that's down, but the one that punched a hole during hurricane Isabel. While it is a little odd that the guy didn't notice the tree limb during my home inspection, he did point out the hole and where it was repaired. And, most importantly, it was easy to fix and now the wall is as good as new. It was in the garage, where there's no insulation or anything so fixing it was pretty strait forward. Now, if it was like my poor friend Chris that had a tree punch through shingles, plywood and insulation, that would be a problem. In any case, a dude showed up with a chainsaw yesterday and cut up the tree in a few hours, which is proof that somebody is at least monitoring that house. I thought maybe this would be the time I went out and asked "Hey, what's the deal? Does anyone live here?" but every time I peeked out the window he looked pretty busy and I didn't want to bug him. One more missed opportunity!

This weekend was pretty busy. Friday we moved the last of Kate's big stuff to her cottage, meaning she got her leather couches and I got the futon/fu-chair combo back. Saturday we moved some small stuff, and I killed some time trying to figure out why her wireless router won't work. The biggest chunk was spent with D-Link support on the phone with an Indian women who had no freaking clue what she was talking about and breathed so heavily into the microphone that she sounded like one of those reporters that're out in the hurricane telling you that you should under no circumstance go outside. When it was all said and done the wireless part still didn't work, but she can still get on the internet just by plugging directly in. Saturday night Kate and I saw Lady in the Water. In lieu of a full review I'll just say that it was a little dumb, but I still liked it.

Sunday was spent doing chores I've been neglecting, and then watching the Colts in glorious HD. Now, people have been debating the start time of evening football games for years, but jeez, that game didn't end until like 11:30! If it had been a blowout I would've just gone to bed a halftime, but I can't sleep while a close game is going on. The latest study shows that 40% of US households with a TV are in the eastern time zone. Why can't the games start an hour earlier, like 7:15? I realize that it would then start at 4:15 on the left coast, but come on, the end is the important part and they could still see that. I thought I was done with caring about TV scheduling, but football is TiVo kriptonite. I can't stomach the thought of watching a game after it happens. Actually, I could, but I couldn't go all day without looking up the score, and I'm not going to watch a game that I already know the outcome of. Plus, I can't TiVo stuff in HD. Although I understand that if you fast forward through the commercials and timeouts you can watch the whole game in like 90 minutes.

So, as far as football goes, this weekend was a 2 out of 3- meaning that Purdue won, the Colts won, but Notre Dame also won. More specifically:

Purdue- My Boilers are 2-0, but I have some serious concerns. We beat Indiana State last week 60 to 35, so it would seem like there's nothing wrong with the offense. But the fact that a division II school with no stars hung 35 points on us is troubling. This week we beat Miami of Ohio, but they took us into overtime. I realize Miami can be pretty pesky for a MAC team, but come on- Northwestern destroyed them last week, and then this week the Wildcats got beat by I-AA New Freaking Hampshire! The short version is that we've been having trouble beating weak opponents. Not good.

Colts- I was glad to see Indianapolis beat New York in the Manning bowl, but I'm also left with some concerns. Namely that we have no running game since Edge followed the money to Arizona, and we sure can't stop the run. Luckily, Peyton Manning is an amazing quarterback, and even though the Giants were playing against the pass in a nickel defense all night, they could still move the ball through the air when they needed to. So even though they beat the Giants (who are pretty good), Indy has some stuff to work on.

Notre Dame- I hate Notre Dame and want them to lose.

That's about it for now. Have a great week!

1 Comments:

At 4:18 PM, September 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

&$*# Notre Dame!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home